Thursday, June 16, 2011

Andy Goldsworthy Sculptures



This is a lesson that I did with my art campers this summer. Summer camps tend to have limited budgets to keep the cost to parents down which tends to require a little creativity on the part of the instructors. This is a great project that I did with absolutely no supplies (although, it did require the illicit use of a fancy printer but whatever). I first showed the students pictures of Andy Goldsworthy's work and we discussed "site specific sculpture". I told them that Goldsworthy didn't use any tools except for his hands, teeth and sometimes spit as an adhesive. They were both disgusted and delighted by this. I had 13 kids, ages 6-12 and they all got really excited about this project. I gave them about 30 minutes to wander the playground and collect their building materials and to experiment with different locations for their sculptures. After they set up their sculpture, they used my digital camera to take their own photograph to document their work. Then, I printed out the pictures and brought them back the next day. The kids were ecstatic with these! 
























No comments:

Post a Comment